Kyiv Zoological Park of national importance is an environmental, research and cultural-educational institution, which is an artificially created object of the nature reserve fund of national importance.
- total area – 34 hectares;
- the collection of animals includes 2170 specimens of animals of 400 species;
- annually the Kyiv Zoo is visited by more than 600 thousand Kyivites and guests of the capital;
- cooperation with international organizations: candidate for membership in the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums (EAZA).
The collection of animals of the Kyiv Zoo is formed taking into account the conservation status of species, research interests and educational value. Here you can see the largest land predators and herbivores on our planet: elephants, giraffes, hippos, lions, tigers, gorillas and others.
In 2017, the global reconstruction of the Kyiv Zoo began. It will take place in stages on separate sites, so the zoo will work for visitors as usual.
Kyiv Zoo conducts the most active in Ukraine social and humanitarian, educational and scientific work:
- visiting contact zoo in children’s medical institutions;
- occupational rehabilitation for the disabled;
- typhlozoological project for children and adults with visual impairments “Zoo to the touch”;
educational project for schoolchildren “Zoo lessons”;
- a large school of young people with three age groups and their own living area.
There are three fast food restaurants and mobile points for selling delicacies on the territory of the zoo: cotton candy, ice cream, water, various snacks.
Almost every weekend there are various environmental education events with free entertainment and memorable prizes.
Kyiv Zoo is located near the metro station “Polytechnic Institute”, near the park of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (NTUU “KPI”), Pushkin Park, Babyn Yar tract, 10 minutes by subway to the city center – st. Khreshchatyk and Independence Square.