HISTORICAL REFERENCE OF KYIV ZOO

"Zoological garden - it is the most valuable of all Kiev Nature Societyĺs activities. We should protect and strive for its development" (Report of the Society for 1910)

"Zoological Garden is not a whim, not fun, not an idle idea of idle people; Zoological Garden - one of the necessary educational institutions "
(From the "Catalogue of the Kiev zoo for 1911", I. Charlemagne)

Kyiv Zoo ľis a unique object that was created on the initiative of professors of St. Volodymyr University and Polytechnic Institute, gymnasiums teachers, doctors, social activists and many wildlife enthusiasts, who were the members of the Kiev Nature Enthusiasts Society (KNS).

The official time of the establishing of the zoo and the beginning of its activity was recognized on March 21, 1909, when the institution received permission to rent areas for placement in Botanical Garden of St. Volodymyr University and to raise funds for the animals.

On May 1909, Vice Governor M. M. Chikhachev in response to the petition, agreed to set at the entrance to the zoo in the Botanical Garden the "box to collect money for the Society to maintain animals and birds in the zoo." After collecting the money at the end of 1909 collection was increased and numbered 115 species of vertebrates - 398 animals totally.

Since its inception the zoo been maintained by charitable donations from private individuals and sponsors. The collection was replenishing mostly by wild animals, their owners refused and animals as gifts. Among the patrons were known such persons as entrepreneur A. Tereshchenko, Nicholas II, the King, F.Falts-Fein, the owner of Askania Nova, Vladimir Gorodetsky, the architect, S. Svyatoslavskyy, an artist and others.

In 1910, the University administration almost doubled the zoological garden area assigned earlier and area of the Kiev Society of Nature became one and a half hectares.

Due to the fact that the maintenance of the zoo needed to allocate more funds as collection of animals was increased, the city government supported the zoo from the begining and twice yearly allocated funds - 1000 and 1500 tsarsky rubles, although this was also not enough.

May 16, 1912 the city administration allocated for the development of a new zoo, a suitable area of 16 acres (23.2 hectares) in the Shuliavka suburbs district opposite the Kiev Polytechnic Institute buildings.

The relief of the area was not suitable for housing, but was the best suited for the development of the territory of the zoo. The complexity of relief was efficiently managed and well used. In ravines ponds for birds were dug out on the upper area enclosures and cages were built.

Official housewarming was occurred in April 1914, but further development of the zoo was hindered by the First World War, and then the civil war. Despite enormous difficulties, enthusiasts managed to keep a collection of animals and everything in zoo had been created by the end of the hostilities that took place in the country in the early twentieth century. In 1919, the zoo becomes the property of the state newly created and received the status of "Kyiv Zoo". The first official director become Secretary of the Kiev Society of Nature, one of the founders of the zoo Venanty Andriyovych Burdzynsky (see. Photo).

In the twenties of the XX century the real flourishing of zoo began. Collection is replenished of rare animals, the scientific work is carried. Fascist occupation ended for Kyiv Zoo with almost complete removal of animals toGermany and destruction.

Immediately after the liberation of Kyiv from German occupation on November 1943 Kyiv Zoo was hurriedly repaired by zoo staff, and on April 10, 1944, it was again opened for visitors.

In 1966 a long-term reconstruction of the zoo began. A new central entrance with rooms for cashboxes and tour desk was built. And the boiler was built as well. And the zoo became ensured with heating and hot water. In 1972 Aquaterrarium was opened. A Complex for primates of 2700 m2 was built. And in May 1982 the "Island of animalsö was opened.

In 1983 the Council of Ministers of USSR provided for Kiev zoo the status of National Zoological Park and included it to a network of territories and objects of Natural Reserve Fund. In the zoo exhibition of rare and exotic species has been actively shaping.

Under the leadership of V. P. Sapolkin, the Director, who had been worked at the zoo for more than 20 years till 1992, the zoo has developed and become one of the best in the Soviet Union. it A lot of scientific work on studying the animals biology and methods of their breeding was carried out.

The years of the so-called transition period from 1992 to 1997 had extremely serious consequences for staff and the collection of the zoo. Since 1998, there were both positive and negative changes in the management, structure, material and technical base, affecting the status and further development of the Kiev Zoo.